Featured Posts

Blogger Tips and TricksLatest Tips For BloggersBlogger Tricks

Saturday, August 28, 2010

I'm switching to cloth diapers!

I have always wanted to try cloth diapers since Libby was a baby. But because I worked part time then and we don't have laundry machine at home, I decided it was not for us. It was not practical to wash outside 3 or 4 times a week and paying $2.25 per load plus drying. I might as well pay $6 for a pack of diapers (after sales) Now that I hardly work and budget is tight, I decided to use cloth diapers to save money. We still live in the same apartment and we still don't have laundry machine and even if I want to get one, I can't. There is no access to put one :( I know it is going to be hard and a lot of work. I'm just thankful that my husband is willing to support me with this decision.

Because I am going to be hand washing cloth diapers, I have been doing a lot of research on which diapers I should get. I want a diaper that is easy to wash and dries quickly. Remember I will be air/hang dry them also. I decided to go for gDiapers but I will not be using their disposable liners. It seems like gDiapers is the way to go for now since I'm new to cloth diapering. My sister used it for her son and loved it. With gDiapers I can use pretty much any inserts I want. They even carry their own cloth inserts. My sister used the Gerber prefolds and she had no problem with it and those prefolds are very affordable. I also purchased some Babykicks Joey-Bunz from CSN using the $50 gift card that I won last month. It actually came today and I'm super excited to start using it!

If you noticed I have not been posting lately. I have been so busy researching about cloth diapers. I've read tons of reviews and videos of cloth diapers. They are so many informations out there. I am overwhelmed! I never knew there are so many kinds of cloth diapers..prefolds, fitted, AIO, pockets and so on and not to mention tons of different companies that offer them. How to pick the right diaper? I don't know exactly. I guess the best way is to try until I find one.

One of my concern is that I don't know what detergent to use. I'm actually confuse because one site may say this is the best detergent to use and another site say it's not safe and they are talking about the same kind! Also, I don't see a lot of informations about hand washing cloth diapers. All washing directions are for using machine. Sometimes it makes me wonder if am I the only crazy person to plan to hand wash cloth diapers???

I guess you will be hearing more of my journey to cloth diapering. This is basically try and error. But I know for sure I will not give up....

1 comment:

  1. I just read this in an email feed and decided to pop over and comment.
    First of all I think you are really brave to try cloth diapers, they have always seemed like a great deal of work to me! And then having to handwash - well good for you! You should be commended for trying what you can to help make ends meet. :)

    ReplyDelete